Skip to main content

Build : Prototype -2

 After making my first prototype to understand the form and the appearance, I built my second prototype which was a scale 1:1 mockup. Building the scale 1:1 model, I tested it with my user. I took his feedback on his experience with the mockup. I didn't explain my product in-depth as I wanted the user to engage with the model to record how he interacted with it and to evaluate if he understands the product.

The video above is the interaction of the user with the mockup model. I used three materials to build the mockup which were materials available at my home. Firstly, I used foam board as a substitute material for the polycarbonate panels, an existing wooden stool as the seat, and packaging tape to indicate the metal frame support. I tried to use measurements similar to the design so that the user can have a near-close experience with the mockup model. 

The user was able to interact and identify the use of the product and expressed that he felt safe while using it. We discussed the comfort, usability, and safety of the product while using it in the real world.

This was my attempt to study the user's empathy with the product. Thank you for reading my blog. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Prototype - User Interaction

  Integrating prototyping into your product development process can be transformational. It can make a richer experience, and enable the user to empathize with the product.  The point of a prototype is to have a tangible visual representation of the solutions discussed throughout the design process. Instead of repeating the information discussed in the ideation phase - a prototype acts as a model that takes into consideration everything discussed.  Having this model allows me as a designer to validate my concepts by sharing the prototype with the users. After observing the user interaction with the mockup model, I made few modifications and then finally prototype was built. The materials used in the final model were polycarbonate sheets and a wooden bench. The polycarbonate was sourced from a small-scale roofing factory where the extra polycarbonate sheets which were wrongly cut or minorly defective were available at a very reasonable price. Whereas I searched for wooden ...

TEST- understand, observe, visualize and iterate.

  Testing, in Design Thinking, involves generating user feedback as related to the prototypes you have developed, as well as gaining a deeper understanding of your users.  Testing is the chance to get a product out into the world and test it in real-time. During this phase, you have a chance to see if you’ve framed the problem correctly.  Above is my recording and evaluation from the user testing. The user seems satisfied with the product and didn't have much to offer when it came to concluding drawbacks. Therefore I had to closely observe the user interaction to identify the points of improvement.  Thank you for reading my blog. Do share your views on the testing stage in the comment section below.

Material Selection

The materials used in the product have a large impact on the success of the design. Selection of material is very important when it comes to finalizing the design. Select materials with properties that doesn't enable meeting the product's performance or reliability requirements and are difficult to work during manufacturing or assembly and be prepared to endure lower than expected profits. These problems can be avoided by keeping in mind the following steps: Identify the design requirements Identify the material selection criteria Consider product aesthetics Evaluate the material and manufacturing cost Prototype and test Finalize materials Polycarbonate  is considered almost unbreakable, giving it a clear advantage over glass in safety. Because it is durable, impact-resistant, and can withstand heat, it has a long lifespan, cutting down on the cost of replacement. Polycarbonate sheeting is six times lighter than standard glass panels, making installation quicker and easier than...